I want to preface this post by saying that you should not gauge the effectiveness of your business efforts on Twitter on how many people follow you. If you sold snow shoes in Alaska and had 5,000 followers all from Miami, I wouldn’t chalk that up as successful. But if you instead had 1oo followers in Anchorage you might be doing wonderfully!
With all that said, if you can build a huge following of the right people, Twitter will become an amazing tool for you. Here are a few tips to help build your following fast:
- Post good content—frequently. If you tweet once a week and it’s a meaningless tweet, you won’t build a good following. Instead post good, valuable content and do it regularly.
- Start following the right people. Think about your business and your industry. Begin following people in your industry. Search for people in the geographic markets you service. You’ll find that as you begin following people, they will return the favor.
- Retweet good content. You don’t have to always come up with the content. If you found someone shared a great tweet, retweet it.
- Start Twitversations. When someone posts a comment on Twitter, respond to it! Start a conversation and open dialogue through Twitter.
- Leverage tradition media outlets. Use email marketing to encourage people to follow you on Twitter. Include the follow icons throughout your site. Add your Twitter handle to your email signature and your business card.
- Add Twitter widgets to your website. Take advantage of the sidebars of your website and fill that space with a Twitter widget that pulls in your more recent posts. WordPress has some wonderful plugins for this.
Does your business need some help on Twitter?
At SilverRank, we are a top social media marketing firm in Buffalo, NY. We help small and medium sized businesses create and maintain a strong social presence for their company. From ghost blogging to ghost tweeting, we’ll make sure that your brand gets the visibility it deserves.