Or, are people running for the exits like the fire alarm is blaring? Do you know exactly how your site is performing (or under-performing)?
Unfortunatly, many small business owners are so immersed in running their business, that their website often becomes the forgotten step-child. The reality, however, is that your website should serve as your best employee, your top sales person, your biggest traffic generator, and your brand ambassador.
Want to turn your site into a powerhouse? Pay attention to the key metrics!
When evaluating the effectiveness of any business website, the first thing we do is look at analytics. Ideally, you’ll have several months (hopefully years) of analytics to review. At SilverRank, we use Google Analytics — if you don’t have it, get it!
During the website review process we’re looking at everything, but one metric we really hone in on is Exit Rate.
Exit rate is pretty self explanatory. It’s the page on your site where someone leaves. This is important because it can show you what pages on your site are performing well, and what pages need some help. Here’s the approach we suggest taking with your site:
- Sort your content by highest “Exit Rate” percentage.
- Take a close look at the pages at the top of list. You’ll see your homepage (/ or /index.html) at the top–that’s natural. You may also find that your basic Contact Us page might rank high. This may simply mean people are looking for your phone number and leaving, nothing too concerning yet.
- Look for surprises. Are there pages at the top of the exit list that you weren’t expecting to see?
- Look at page content. Take a close look at each high exit rate page. Try to determine why people are leaving.
- Adjust the content on those pages. Is the page too long? Do you have a form that requires too many fields and isn’t converting? Are people abandoning their shopping cart? Is there a strong call to action on those pages?
Once you’ve determined high exit rate pages, take action. Fix the issues on your site. Test different calls to action, try new offers, streamline the content on your site, and make it easier for people to do business with you.
You spend a lot of time and resources to get people into the top of your sales funnel, don’t lose them before they come out the bottom! If you can improve the conversion rate on your site by just 5% what would that mean to your business? What about 10%? What about 50%?
Contact SilverRank Today for a Free Website Analysis
(This is a CALL TO ACTION – We practice what we preach!)
Whether looking for specific changes to improve your conversion rate, or just interested in some free website advice. We’re happy to help. Simply complete the short form below, include your website and contact information and we’ll be in touch shortly.